Monday, January 26, 2009

Curiousity

They say that to be a good person, it is worth noticing and emulating admirable qualities that other people possess. As someone who takes a keen and active interest in fulfilling my own potential as a human being, I have found this advice most prudent, and it has served as a useful guidepost when I've felt a bit lost.

I'm on a bit of a bender when it comes to self improvement. Parenting tends to do that to people, I guess.

To guide me, I've been thinking about the qualities that I find most attractive in other people.

A kind, compassionate heart is probably the number one thing. I'm working on that one.

Number two, for me, is curiousity. This is probably my strong suit.

I'm far from perfect. I have flaws and foibles, like everybody else. Perhaps I even have more foibles than most. I'm willing to entertain that possibility.

I have one redeeming quality which has gotten me through some pretty bleak times, and which I have always really liked about myself.

It is this: I am curious.

I've always been a curious person. I'm curious about every little thing. When I was studying journalism, we were told that every subject in the world is interesting if it is looked at in the right way. I have to agree. The world is so darn fascinating it's overwhelming.

To me, nobody is more alluring than a curious, passionate person. In particular, I admire enthusiasts. People who find rapture and endless fascination in a certain sunject or endeavour. It doesn't matter to me what the subject is. It could be collecting gloves. No matter how little in common we have, that part of people draws me closer. I love thinking about accountants who go home and enjoy a private rapture with their growing collection of tea pots. Or people who make it their life's work to study mosquitos. It's magic. WHY did this thing capture their heart and imagination? I love this about humanity.

This very thing has driven human endeavour, in all its wonderful and terrifying complexity. And it is incredible.

I'm not really obsessed with any one thing. Or perhaps reading, writing and the arts would be mine.

But I think the thing which REALLY floats my boat is watching other people's curiousity about the world - and trying to figure out why they are so curious.

I've been tossing up new career options lately. Perhaps I should become a documentary maker next!

People are so darned fascinating. And fascinated people are the most fascinating of all.



Some lyrics from Laura Veirs:

With photographs

And magnetic tape

We capture

Pretty animals in cages

Pretty flowers in vases

Enraptured



And doesn't the tree

Write great poetry?

Doing itself so well



Do you blame monet?

His gardens in giverny

He captured

And lovely basho

His plunking ponds and toads

Enraptured



The fate of kurt cobain

Junk coursing through his veins

And young virginia woolf

Death came and hung her coat



Love of color, sound and words

Is it a blessing or a curse?

Enraptured

1 comment:

  1. I once heard a great journalist say that the first quality a journalist must have is curiosity.
    You got it in spades!

    ReplyDelete